mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

The Last Major Ukrainian Provider In The Area

Mobile connection partially restored in war-torn east Ukraine

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Mobile connection partially restored in war-torn east Ukraine

Mobile phone access was partially restored in war-torn eastern Ukraine
Ukraine - Egypt Today

Mobile phone access was partially restored in war-torn eastern Ukraine on Friday after it was lost more than a week ago, the last major Ukrainian provider in the area said.

Almost two million people lost mobile connection in the devastated region after a Vodafone Ukraine fibre optic line was cut on January 11 as a result of fighting.

The provider sought to restore service after its workers had received security assurances from the warring parties in a conflict that has claimed more than 10,000 lives in nearly four years.

"Repair work on the restoration of communications... is completed. In the Lugansk region, communication services are provided in full," Vodafone Ukraine said in its statement, referring to the smaller of two breakaway provinces.

Meanwhile, the insurgent-controlled parts of the bigger Donetsk region still remain without a mobile connection.

"In the Donetsk region, the network does not work for reasons unknown to us. There is a possibility that the equipment is out of order or there is no power supply," Vodafone added.

The separatist authorities of the self-proclaimed Lugansk republic confirmed the restoration of mobile phone access as Donetsk leaders declared no changes in the area under their control.

The outage all but severed communication between family members living on opposite sides of the frontline splitting eastern Ukraine.

Russian-backed operator Pheonix, now the sole provider in Donetsk, only this week introduced a service that is theoretically able to place calls to Kiev-controlled regions at international rates.

The departure of Ukraine's KyivStar in 2015 and Lifecell last year left Vodafone as the only major provider in the region of some 3.5 million people.

This has left Phoenix filling the void in Donetsk, but it has only 600,000 subscribers and is already operating at full capacity.

The self-declared "communications minister" of Donetsk, Viktor Yashchenko, told the separatist DAN news agency earlier this week that 80,000 people had joined Phoenix since Vodafone went down.

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine



GMT 11:03 2017 Sunday ,13 August

Morabit calls on HM to approve reforms

GMT 13:33 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China factory gate inflation slows to 13-month low

GMT 00:07 2013 Wednesday ,24 July

Festival de la chanson chaâbi : de jeunes talents

GMT 18:43 2015 Saturday ,09 May

Helicopter lost control moments before landing

GMT 19:58 2017 Friday ,28 April

Trump May Delay Border Wall to Get Budget Deal

GMT 09:41 2017 Tuesday ,21 November

Kedwani underlines parliament’s role

GMT 02:29 2017 Sunday ,09 April

UAE movie fans are quick on the download button

GMT 16:15 2018 Sunday ,04 November

Katy Perry covers ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ song

GMT 02:15 2011 Saturday ,29 October

Forecast: \'Unprecedented\' winter storm due

GMT 10:03 2018 Thursday ,20 September

Russian cabinet to consider 2019-2021 draft budget

GMT 07:14 2011 Sunday ,03 July

Railway project goes full steam ahead

GMT 10:21 2012 Tuesday ,06 March

Ahly suffers spate of UAE camp injuries

GMT 04:45 2013 Thursday ,05 September

The end of oil

GMT 13:32 2017 Sunday ,15 January

South Korea prosecutors to decide Monday

GMT 13:34 2011 Tuesday ,12 July

Jordan-Romania ecology initiative launched

GMT 00:56 2013 Tuesday ,26 February

Secret space is where BlackBerry smartphones are born

GMT 12:19 2011 Monday ,18 July

Japan beat usa on penalties to win world cup

GMT 18:30 2011 Thursday ,11 August

1500 Qatar hajj quota this year
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday