5 killed in daesh attack in central libya
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

5 killed in Daesh attack in central Libya

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today 5 killed in Daesh attack in central Libya

An attack by Daesh in central Libya.
Tripoli - Egypt Today

At least five people were killed Monday and 10 others kidnapped in an attack by Daesh on a town in central Libya, local and military sources said.
Three civilians were among the dead, while a soldier was wounded and 10 people were “missing, probably kidnapped”, said General Ahmad Al Mesmari, spokesman for the Libyan National Army (LNA).

The raid targeted the desert town of Al Fuqaha in Jufra district, which has for over a year been held by forces allied to Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, who leads the self-styled LNA.

LNA forces responded to the attack but the Daesh fighters fled south, killing the fifth victim and injuring another at a security checkpoint, Al Mesmari said.
In a statement, Daesh said it took control of the settlement for several hours and claimed a suicide attack against the LNA.

It said it had stormed a police post and homes looking for “apostates” belonging to the army, police and spies.

Earlier, municipal council member Abdul Latif Jalala told AFP that three civilians and a policeman had been killed in the dawn attack, more than 800 kilometres south of the capital Tripoli.

He said the assailants kidnapped at least eight others before fleeing into the Haruj mountains further south.

Jufra lawmaker Esmail Al Sharif said Daesh fighters attacked the city with 25 vehicles, beheaded five civilians and torched local government and security offices.

The attackers set fire to police posts and public buildings in Al Fuqaha, he added.

oth Al Sharif and Jalala said the raid was likely retaliation for arrests earlier this month of alleged Daesh members in the area.
The United Nations mission in Libya said it “strongly condemns the deadly attack ... in what local authorities say was a brutal act of revenge” by Daesh.
It also called for the immediate release of those kidnapped.
The Jufra region has been regularly hit by attacks attributed to extremists. In August 2017, an attack claimed by Daesh killed 11 people, including nine LNA fighters.

Daesh took advantage of the chaos that reigned in Libya after the 2011 NATO-backed removal of Muammar Gaddafi to establish footholds in several parts of the country.

In June 2015, extremists seized control of Kadhafi’s hometown of Sirte, only ceding it in December of the following year in the face of an offensive by forces loyal to the UN-backed government in Tripoli.

In April this year, the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord launched an operation to track down Daesh fighters operating in areas of western Libya under its control.

The US military has regularly carried out strikes on extremists in Libya, particularly south of Sirte.

Many extremists have since retreated to desert areas in the country’s south, where they are attempting to regroup.

A September 10 suicide attack later claimed by Daesh on Libya’s National Oil Company headquarters in the heart of Tripoli left two dead and 10 others wounded

Four months earlier, Daesh claimed an attack on Libya’s electoral commission headquarters in Tripoli that killed 14 people.

From:Gulfnews

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

5 killed in daesh attack in central libya 5 killed in daesh attack in central libya



GMT 14:50 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

Japan emperor greets New Year well-wishers

GMT 00:43 2016 Thursday ,29 December

29 former Turkish police put on trial over failed coup

GMT 09:34 2017 Friday ,14 April

BTV changes transmission frequency for Europe

GMT 08:20 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

French President Macron to visit China next week

GMT 15:06 2017 Wednesday ,15 March

Sell-off in industrial stocks drags Oman shares lower

GMT 06:27 2017 Thursday ,30 November

Hamas due to hand over Gaza in major step toward unity

GMT 04:08 2012 Thursday ,07 June

Bad boy Michael Madsen shows his soft side

GMT 14:28 2012 Monday ,03 September

Bangladesh suspends officials over tiger smuggling

GMT 23:55 2012 Tuesday ,11 September

Catalans mass for independence, warn of \'freedom\' bid

GMT 07:38 2012 Friday ,06 April

LHC is back with big energy boost

GMT 05:51 2011 Wednesday ,24 August

Troubled Arsenal seek Champions League boost

GMT 18:47 2011 Thursday ,18 August

La Liga newboys aim to stick around

GMT 10:17 2017 Thursday ,14 September

Six deaths at Florida nursing home without power

GMT 15:56 2017 Monday ,23 January

Sudan’s Al-Bashir heads for Saudi Arabia

GMT 11:58 2017 Wednesday ,22 March

Kuwaiti, Maltese relations reviewed

GMT 01:22 2015 Friday ,12 June

Luxor foiled attack catastrophe

GMT 06:48 2013 Thursday ,31 October

Cuba\'s Tower of Babel gives free medical education

GMT 09:21 2017 Thursday ,05 January

Turkey warns Syria talks at risk over truce violations

GMT 14:58 2014 Wednesday ,08 January

2 Swedish journalists missing in Syria freed

GMT 15:12 2014 Tuesday ,04 March

Turkey bans \'Nymphomaniac\' for sex scenes
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday