uber backlash after hong kong drivers found guilty by court
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Uber backlash after Hong Kong drivers found guilty by court

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Uber backlash after Hong Kong drivers found guilty by court

Traditional taxi drivers in Hong Kong have called on the government to act against ride-hailing app Uber
Hong Kong - AFP

 Uber hit back at Hong Kong authorities Friday after five of its drivers were found guilty of operating without proper licences, in yet another blow to the ride-hailing giant.

The case comes as the ride-hailing app encounters regulatory roadblocks around the world -- it pulled out of Taiwan last month following an impasse with the government, which deems the service illegal.

It also on Wednesday promised not to use a recently uncovered "Greyball" software program to trick regulators trying to catch drivers breaking the law.

The Hong Kong drivers were arrested in a dramatic police swoop in 2015 after furious traditional cabbies in the southern Chinese city smashed up their own taxis with hammers and drove slowly towards the government headquarters calling authorities to act over unlicensed cars.

All five drivers were found guilty Friday at the West Kowloon Court of driving without a permit allowing them to transport paying customers and without third-party insurance, local media said.

They were fined HK$10,000 (US$1,287) each and had their driving licences suspended for 12 months, pending appeals.

"Sharing a ride shouldn't be a crime," Uber said in a statement in response to the verdict.

"We are very disappointed with today's court decision, which we believe goes against the best interests of riders, drivers and the city of Hong Kong itself," it said, adding that it would "stand by" and provide assistance to those involved.

"The transport law is from over 40 years ago," Uber Hong Kong general manager Kenneth She told reporters after the verdict.

"We hope that the government does not only look at outdated laws but truly takes a step forward" he said.

Ahead of the verdict, She told the South China Morning Post that Uber would not withdraw from Hong Kong.

The US firm announced in February it would suspend business in Taiwan after the government raised the maximum penalty for Uber drivers to Tw$25 million (US$804,000) -- the highest in the world.

Uber also halted services in Hungary in July last year due to new legislation that stops drivers from making money with their own vehicles.

It has also faced stiff resistance from traditional taxi drivers around the world, as well as bans in some places over safety concerns and questions over legal issues, including taxes.

source: AFP

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

uber backlash after hong kong drivers found guilty by court uber backlash after hong kong drivers found guilty by court



GMT 09:40 2018 Sunday ,09 December

Rise in temperature, partially cloudy skies

GMT 10:07 2019 Monday ,19 August

Live a calm and distinctive atmosphere

GMT 13:06 2011 Thursday ,17 November

Blatter: Committed to fight against racism

GMT 02:40 2012 Friday ,04 May

Brazil pledges investment fund for Africa

GMT 07:46 2012 Monday ,23 January

Masdar graduate makes Forbes 30 under-30 list

GMT 08:30 2017 Sunday ,27 August

Consumers against random abattoirs

GMT 15:00 2012 Sunday ,09 December

Rapper Rick Ross cancels concert tour

GMT 23:07 2014 Sunday ,02 March

China urges greater wildlife protection efforts

GMT 17:27 2012 Saturday ,14 April

China and Philippines end fishing standoff

GMT 20:04 2014 Wednesday ,01 January

Modern caterpillars feed at higher temperatures

GMT 09:14 2011 Wednesday ,17 August

InterContinental Hotels register strong US growth

GMT 17:45 2012 Friday ,28 December

Edward Sadomba top of Ahly\'s transfer targets

GMT 13:58 2012 Thursday ,17 May

Facebook vs. Google: the epic battle

GMT 14:04 2012 Thursday ,19 January

Fenway victory gardens

GMT 08:42 2012 Monday ,03 September

Pesticides must get environment ministry label

GMT 23:25 2011 Wednesday ,12 October

U.S. House passes FTA with S. Korea

GMT 08:32 2011 Wednesday ,20 July

Global stocks bounce back

GMT 21:45 2011 Saturday ,03 September

Oracle\'s $1.3b verdict against SAP

GMT 08:34 2013 Thursday ,07 March

Ahmed Zakariya to release new single

GMT 14:08 2011 Thursday ,08 December

I\'m proud of my Lebanese roots

GMT 13:48 2014 Wednesday ,28 May

Kuwait PM receives journalism award committee

GMT 09:59 2018 Monday ,15 January

Leinster secure Champions Cup last-eight spot
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday