opposition presses for fresh marches in venezuela
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Opposition presses for fresh marches in Venezuela

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Opposition presses for fresh marches in Venezuela

President Nicolas Maduro.
Caracas - Arab today

A top Venezuelan opposition figure called on Saturday for more marches aimed at taking back the courts and the National Electoral Council that he said had been “hijacked” by President Nicolas Maduro.

Freddy Guevara urged people to protest on Monday — May 1 or May Day, a traditional workers’ holiday — with marches to the Supreme Court and the National Electoral Council’s offices.

“We want to summon all Venezuelans, across the country’s 24 states, to hit the dictatorship with a one-two punch,” Guevara said, evoking simultaneous peaceful marches in the two locations.

A month of demonstrations in April in Venezuela has left 28 people dead in clashes between riot police and antigovernment protesters, according to prosecutors.

More than 400 people have been injured, and nearly 1,300 arrested, according to the attorney general.

The centre-right-led opposition is demanding elections to remove Maduro, an elected socialist. It blames him for an economic crisis that has caused shortages of food, medicine and other basic items.

“On May 1, after a month of resistance, we need to show that the people refuse to give up,” Guevara said.

Late on Saturday, hundreds of people marched by candlelight, flowers in their arms, to pay homage to those killed in the latest protests.

“We are here to remember our friends who have been killed seeking the release of those on our side who have been jailed. The (dead) deserve this recognition from all of Venezuela,” said law student Amanda Fioretti, 20.

Rights group Amnesty International urged the government on Wednesday to stop the “persecution” and “arbitrary detention” of protesters.

Earlier in the day, Pope Francis said the Vatican was ready to intervene as a mediator to try and end Venezuela’s deadly political crisis under “clear conditions.”

Speaking on a plane bringing him back from Egypt to Rome, the pontiff said: “I believe that must be done under conditions. Very clear conditions.”

“There was an intervention by the Holy See following strong pressure” by four former leaders of Spain, the Dominican Republic, Panama and Colombia, he said.

“This did not work because the proposals were not accepted. They were diluted. It was a ‘yes, yes but no, no,’” he said.

The pontiff said the four mediators were trying to relaunch the process, adding “they are looking for a venue” but the opposition was against the process.

“We should do all that we can for Venezuela with necessary guarantees,” he said.

The pontiff did not clarify the conditions. But his Secretary of State Pietro Parolin, the former papal nuncio in Venezuela, had in December spoken of four prerequisites: the establishment of an election timetable, the freeing of opposition supporters held in prison, allowing foreign health aid and giving the legislature back its powers.

But senior opposition leader Henrique Capriles dismissed the idea of resuming dialogue with the government.

The pontiff “speaks as if some wanted dialogue and others did not,” Capriles told journalists at a memorial for those who had died in April protests.

“We Venezuelans all want dialogue, but we are not disposed to a Zapatero dialogue,” he said, referring to Spain’s former prime minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who led last year’s Vatican-backed mediation bid between the government and the opposition.

Just Wednesday Venezuela said it was quitting the Organisation of American States in anger at pressure from the bloc over the government’s handling of its political crisis.

Echoed by the United States and European Union, the OAS has led an international chorus of concern over the economic and political chaos in the major oil-exporting country.

Venezuela has suffered an economic collapse fuelled by a plunge in international prices for its crucial oil exports.

Maduro says the shortages and the protests are part of a US-backed plot to topple him.

source : GULF NEWS

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

opposition presses for fresh marches in venezuela opposition presses for fresh marches in venezuela



GMT 11:03 2017 Sunday ,13 August

Morabit calls on HM to approve reforms

GMT 13:33 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China factory gate inflation slows to 13-month low

GMT 00:07 2013 Wednesday ,24 July

Festival de la chanson chaâbi : de jeunes talents

GMT 18:43 2015 Saturday ,09 May

Helicopter lost control moments before landing

GMT 19:58 2017 Friday ,28 April

Trump May Delay Border Wall to Get Budget Deal

GMT 09:41 2017 Tuesday ,21 November

Kedwani underlines parliament’s role

GMT 02:29 2017 Sunday ,09 April

UAE movie fans are quick on the download button

GMT 16:15 2018 Sunday ,04 November

Katy Perry covers ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ song

GMT 02:15 2011 Saturday ,29 October

Forecast: \'Unprecedented\' winter storm due

GMT 10:03 2018 Thursday ,20 September

Russian cabinet to consider 2019-2021 draft budget

GMT 07:14 2011 Sunday ,03 July

Railway project goes full steam ahead

GMT 10:21 2012 Tuesday ,06 March

Ahly suffers spate of UAE camp injuries

GMT 04:45 2013 Thursday ,05 September

The end of oil

GMT 13:32 2017 Sunday ,15 January

South Korea prosecutors to decide Monday

GMT 13:34 2011 Tuesday ,12 July

Jordan-Romania ecology initiative launched

GMT 00:56 2013 Tuesday ,26 February

Secret space is where BlackBerry smartphones are born

GMT 12:19 2011 Monday ,18 July

Japan beat usa on penalties to win world cup

GMT 18:30 2011 Thursday ,11 August

1500 Qatar hajj quota this year
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday