San Francisco - AFP
Melky Cabrera, the San Francisco Giants slugger who was suspended 50 games for a doping violation, has asked not to be considered for the National League batting crown, the team telecaster reported.
Comcast Sports\' CSNBayArea reported Friday that the 28-year-old Dominican outfielder, banished after testing positive for excessive testosterone last month, was dropped in a deal between Major League Baseball and the players union.
\"I have no wish to win an award that would be tainted,\" Cabrera said, adding that it would be \"far better for someone more deserving to win\".
The move came two days after Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said he would not have stood in the way of Cabrera claiming the batting crown.
The union and league worked out a one-time deal to honor Cabrera\'s request, made by his representatives to union leaders on Wednesday, according to the report.
Cabrera, batting .346 for the season, was one plate appearance shy of the minimum needed to qualify for the batting title but would have still won because a clause to the rule allows for him to take the title if a hitless time at bat is added to reach the minimum, a clause which now will not apply to Cabrera because he will be suspended at the end of the season.
The National League batting title, not won by a Giants slugger since all-time US home run king Barry Bonds hit .362 in 2004, is now a chase between San Francisco\'s Buster Poset at .335 and Pittsburgh\'s Andrew McCutchen at .339.
The Giants, who could secure a playoff spot and NL West division crown this weekend, would be allowed to bring back Cabrera if they advance past the first round but have not indicated they would do so.