westwood chases third consecutive \african major\
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Westwood chases third consecutive 'African Major'

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Westwood chases third consecutive 'African Major'

Johannesburg - AFP
Englishman Lee Westwood hopes to become the first player to win three consecutive titles in the Nedbank Golf Challenge invitation tournament. The 39-year-old world number six won the "African Major" at the 7,162-metre Gary Player Country Club with a 15-under total of 273 last year. In April he successfully defended his Indonesian Masters title, and his $3 million prize money in 2012 already more than triples his winnings last year. A win at the Sun City entertainment resort in the north west of the country will add $1.25 million to that. "I'd love to be the first to win three Nedbank Golf Challenge titles in a row," said Westwood, ahead of the Thursday tee-off. "You just have to look at the names on the trophy to realise how special it is. It's not the winning margin that is important to me, but it's the coming back and defending the title that is so satisfying." Organisers were also pleased at the prospect of a third win. "Defending champion Lee Westwood has become one of the greatest players in the history of this tournament, and he now has a chance to make history at Sun City this year," said tournament director Alastair Roper. But some top-class players will be breathing hard down his neck. Countryman Justin Rose, 32, is the highest-ranked of the 12 players after his second place finish at the DP World Tour Championship last week. Rose is fourth in the world. South African Louis Oosthuizen, 30, follows directly behind Westwood in seventh position on the Official World Golf Ranking. He lost in a playoff against Italy's Matteo Manassero in the Singapore Open earlier this month. Oosthuizen and four others won European Tour titles this year -- Francesco Molinari, Paul Lawrie, Nicolas Colsaerts, and Peter Hanson. South Africa's Charl Schwartzel, 2011 Masters champion, will also tee off. Hanson from Sweden is another contender to watch, having taken the BMW Masters in Shanghai in October after beating world number one Rory McIlroy. Seven of the victorious European team in the Ryder Cup challenge are represented, including former world number one Martin Kaymer from Germany. "There is no doubt that the balance of power in the global game currently rests with European golf, and we are proud to have some of the best players in Europe competing in this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge," said Roper. "We have a strong South African contingent who represent the future of the game," he added. "We have a field that has a total of 12 victories worldwide this year alone. So I think we can safely say that we have amongst the best and most in-form players in the game coming to Sun City."
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

westwood chases third consecutive \african major\ westwood chases third consecutive \african major\



GMT 16:18 2014 Tuesday ,11 February

\'Downton Abbey\' moving on without Dan Stevens

GMT 15:44 2012 Saturday ,14 April

Citroën Numéro 9 at Beijing motor show

GMT 11:04 2013 Saturday ,05 October

Eppridge captured Kennedy\'s assassination in 1966

GMT 22:44 2011 Wednesday ,23 February

Clashes in Greece at anti-austerity demo

GMT 00:18 2017 Wednesday ,05 July

Germany backs UAE's stand on Qatar

GMT 06:05 2012 Monday ,25 June

Ayoon Wa Azan (Pity My Homeland)

GMT 01:00 2012 Friday ,20 July

New Audi Q3 model

GMT 23:25 2014 Friday ,18 July

3 children martyred in Israeli attack on Gaza

GMT 20:42 2016 Friday ,25 March

Turkish Premier to Visit Jordan Saturday

GMT 23:11 2013 Tuesday ,06 August

5.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico

GMT 12:25 2015 Friday ,05 June

Naimi: OPEC keeps same oil output ceiling

GMT 14:34 2017 Tuesday ,07 November

Yemen rebels threaten Saudi, UAE ports and airports
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday