uci investigating vinokourov liege \payoff\ claim
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

UCI investigating Vinokourov Liege 'payoff' claim

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today UCI investigating Vinokourov Liege 'payoff' claim

Paris - AFP
World cycling governing body the UCI are to investigate claims made by Swiss and Italian newspapers that retired Olympic cycling champion Alexandre Vinokourov paid off a rival to win his second Liege-Bastogne-Liege classic in 2010. The UCI - under pressure to clean up the image of the sport in the wake of the Lance Armstrong affair - said it had summoned both riders to Switzerland "to explain themselves regarding the events concerning them." The body, which faces a 2million dollar claim for damages from an Australian clothing firm over allegations the organisation failed to crack down on doping, also told AFP it had received a dossier on the matter from the Italian state prosecutor's office in Padua. UCI said it would assess any information to which it was privy on the matter "constructively and transparently" in order to "safeguard the integrity of the sport." Vinokourov, banned for blood doping in 2007-2009, faces claims he paid Russian rival Alexandre Kolobnev 150,000 euros to secure his second victory in cycling's oldest one-day classic. The initial accusations were made by Swiss magazine L'Illustre last year - since when UCI says it has been looking into the affair. Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera followed up this week as it published emails between the riders which appears to support the accusations. A first email sent from Kolobnev to Vinokourov the day after the race allegedly reads: "I don't know if I did the right thing. I didn't do it for the contract (money) but out of respect for you and for the situation you were in. "Even my wife was disappointed I finished second." Vinokourov's second victory in 'La Doyenne' - cycling's oldest one-day classic - was his biggest win since he returned from a doping ban a year earlier. The same email from Kolobnev, which allegedly contained details of a bank account in Switzerland, adds: "Now I'm waiting patiently. Take my details and delete this email." Vinokourov reportedly answered several days later: "Hi Kolobok (Kolobnev's nickname) I'm sorry I didn't answer you earlier. Don't worry, you did the right thing... "You said yourself that what goes around comes around and God sees everything. "I will respect our deal. You'll have to wait a while. Vino." The newspaper claims two payments were then made to Kolobnev, the first of 100,000 euros on July 12, 2010 and the second of 50,000 on December 28. After his Liege win, Vinokourov -- when asked about its significance after his doping ban -- refused to discuss details of his doping past, telling reporters: "It's proof you can win without doping." Vinokourov, Kazakhstan's biggest sports star of his generation, stunned the field at the Olympic road race last August to win gold, then announced his retirement from the sport and is set to manage the Astana team next year.
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

uci investigating vinokourov liege \payoff\ claim uci investigating vinokourov liege \payoff\ claim



GMT 16:18 2014 Tuesday ,11 February

\'Downton Abbey\' moving on without Dan Stevens

GMT 15:44 2012 Saturday ,14 April

Citroën Numéro 9 at Beijing motor show

GMT 11:04 2013 Saturday ,05 October

Eppridge captured Kennedy\'s assassination in 1966

GMT 22:44 2011 Wednesday ,23 February

Clashes in Greece at anti-austerity demo

GMT 00:18 2017 Wednesday ,05 July

Germany backs UAE's stand on Qatar

GMT 06:05 2012 Monday ,25 June

Ayoon Wa Azan (Pity My Homeland)

GMT 01:00 2012 Friday ,20 July

New Audi Q3 model

GMT 23:25 2014 Friday ,18 July

3 children martyred in Israeli attack on Gaza

GMT 20:42 2016 Friday ,25 March

Turkish Premier to Visit Jordan Saturday

GMT 23:11 2013 Tuesday ,06 August

5.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico

GMT 12:25 2015 Friday ,05 June

Naimi: OPEC keeps same oil output ceiling

GMT 14:34 2017 Tuesday ,07 November

Yemen rebels threaten Saudi, UAE ports and airports
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday