
Former champion Agnieszka Radwanska succumbed to a first-round defeat for the third year in succession at the ATP-WTA Eastbourne International on Monday as the top seed was beaten 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7/4) by Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
Radwanska, winner here in 2008, failed again to gain traction on the south coast lawns and goes into next week's start of Wimbledon well short of match practise.
German fifth seed Angelique Kerber got off to a winning start on a chilly, dry day at Devonshire Park, where the usual bothersome winds were not in evidence.
The 2012 finalist beat American Alison Riske 7-6 (8/6), 6-4. Elena Vesnina of Russia reached the second round, beating China's Peng Shuai 6-3, 6-4.
Radwanska came to Britain without a title so far this year and fresh from a third-round defeat at Roland Garros.
The Pole had won four of her five previous meetings with the 26th-ranked Pavlyuchenkova.
The Russian spent almost two-and-a-half hours compiling her upset win, firing nine aces and 41 winners while breaking four times from eight chances.
Radwanska took the final set into a tie-break, trailing her Russian opponent 1-3, and 3-5.
- Very excited -
Eighth seed Caroline Wozniacki, the 2009 champion, recovered from deficits in both sets as she beat Australian Samantha Stosur 7-5, 6-4. American Sloane Stephens beat Caroline Garcia of France 6-2, 6-4.
Alize Cornet of France defeated Serb Bojana Jovanovski 6-3, 6-2.
Former world number one Victoria Azarenka is making her return to tennis this week after more than three months out with a foot injury, which she says is now fine.
The two-time Australian Open champion from Belarus starts in the first round on a wild card against Italian Camila Giorgi.
"I'm very excited, I can't wait to play," said the world number nine. "That's the most important thing. That's why I'm here.
"Once I felt healthy, I started practising and I just wanted to play. I'm here in Eastbourne to try to test myself in competition.
"I've been tested in practise, but competition is a completely different thing. My only expectation is that it won't rain and I'll be able to play."
In the men's draw, a pair of Frenchman advanced with Jeremy Chardy upsetting fifth seed Ivo Karlovic 6-4, 6-4 and 2013 finalist Gilles Simon, the number six seed, beginning with a defeat of Australian qualifier Chris Guccione, playing his first ATP singles match in almost a year, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4.
Slovak Martin Klizan, the Munich champion last Mayy knocked out Argentine eighth seed Federico Delbonis 6-4, 6-4.
Australian Bernard Tomic ignored distractions from an adjacent court, lining up a second-round meeting with top seed Richard Gasquet after a defeat of Andrey Golubev 6-4, 6-4.
"The calls from Court 1 were coming in, I thought half the time it was a let. It was very difficult.
"I didn't know what was going on until I addressed the umpire, and he managed to turn down Court 1's speaker system, because it was tough to play when you were hearing calls in the back."
Source: AFP
GMT 13:38 2018 Wednesday ,12 December
WADA views International Sambo Federation as one of best in fight against doping abuseGMT 10:48 2018 Tuesday ,23 October
Dortmund face Atletico test of maturityGMT 19:21 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Brewers make offer to Japanese pitcher DarvishGMT 19:19 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Brewers make offer to Japanese pitcher DarvishGMT 12:35 2018 Friday ,19 January
Man Utd set to make Sanchez highest-paid Premier League playerGMT 12:17 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Italy's Barella extends Cagliari dealGMT 13:20 2017 Sunday ,24 December
'Tongan Bear' Uhila extends Clermont contractGMT 19:09 2017 Tuesday ,19 December
Mascherano close to China move: reportsMaintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor