sterling backs clippers sale wont pursue lawsuit
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Sterling backs Clippers sale, won't pursue lawsuit

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Sterling backs Clippers sale, won't pursue lawsuit

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling
Los Angeles - Arab Today

Banned owner Donald Sterling backs the $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer, and will drop his lawsuit against the NBA, his lawyer said.
Attorney Maxwell Blecher confirmed to AFP on Wednesday that Sterling planned to drop the lawsuit seeking $1 billion in damages that he filed against the league on Friday.
That suit, which also named NBA Commissioner Adam Silver as a defendant, alleged breach of contract and anti-trust and civil rights violations.
It was filed in US federal court in Los Angeles shortly before the NBA said it approved the sale of the Clippers to Ballmer and would ask the board of governors to vote on it.
Sterling's wife Shelly, acting as head of the Sterling family trust, had negotiated the blockbuster deal with Ballmer, pushing it through before the league concluded action to strip the club from the Sterlings.
The league canceled a hearing on whether to oust Donald Sterling over racially charged remarks he made to a girlfriend that sparked outrage when they became public in April.
Silver had already banned him for life from all NBA activities, and fined the real estate billionaire $2.5 million.
Donald Sterling had told Los Angeles television station NBC4 late Tuesday that he was ready to "move on."
Appearing at a charity event, Sterling said he was content with the deal his wife had struck.
"I feel fabulous, I feel very good," Sterling said. "Everything is just the way it should be, really. It may have worked out differently, but it's good. It's all good."
As a condition of the sale to Ballmer, the NBA said last week that Shelly Sterling had indemnified the league against further legal action in relation to the case.
Therefore, even if the notoriously litigious Donald Sterling pursued and won a case against the league, the damages would have been paid by the trust.
Three quarters of the remaining 29 owners must still approve the sale to Ballmer before it becomes official.
The price tag, for a team that has never won a championship, would set an NBA record -- well above the record $550 million paid for the Milwaukee Bucks in April.
It would mark a massive financial return for the 80-year-old Sterling on a club he purchased in 1981 for just $12 million.
The 58-year-old Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft from 2000 until February this year, had tried before to buy an NBA club, hoping to relocate the Sacramento Kings to Seattle.
Last week, Ballmer was at pains to reassure Clippers fans that he didn't intend to move the club.
Clippers supporters as well as players were thrown into turmoil when Sterling's comments, chastising girlfriend V. Stiviano for publicizing her association with black friends, became public.
Sponsors fled, and in a country that grapples with issues of race, the controversy clouded the Clippers' run to the second round of the NBA playoffs.
Source: AFP

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

sterling backs clippers sale wont pursue lawsuit sterling backs clippers sale wont pursue lawsuit



GMT 06:46 2017 Monday ,20 February

Blames government for ignoring Sisi

GMT 13:14 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Arab catwalk influence grows despite

GMT 10:04 2019 Monday ,19 August

Live a tense and noisy atmosphere

GMT 05:03 2017 Monday ,10 April

Investors flock to macro hedge funds

GMT 00:25 2017 Wednesday ,05 July

Temperature in UAE just hit 50 degrees today

GMT 12:34 2017 Sunday ,26 March

Race favorite Arrogate wins Dubai World Cup

GMT 10:53 2018 Monday ,15 January

Sevilla let Real off hook with Alaves defeat

GMT 09:21 2017 Monday ,27 November

Photographer captures human face

GMT 11:39 2012 Friday ,23 November

Indian girl shot dead by \'urinating man\'

GMT 14:01 2017 Thursday ,16 March

UK Shadow Minister Meets Qatari Ambassador
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday