palestinian player rejects barca invite
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Palestinian player rejects Barca invite

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Palestinian player rejects Barca invite

Gaza - AFP
A Palestinian footballer who went on a hunger strike in an Israeli jail said yesterday he is turning down an invitation to see Barcelona play Real Madrid after an Israeli soldier was also asked to attend. Mahmud Sarsak, who went on hunger strike earlier this year to protest his detention without charge by Israel, was invited to the match by Barcelona, after they also extended an invitation to Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier who was held captive in Gaza for more than five years. “I apologize to the fans and to the management of the club for not attending because of the invitation to Gilad Shalit,” Sarsak told a news conference at the headquarters of the Red Cross in Gaza City. Last week, Barcelona said it had agreed to invite Shalit, a football fan, to the game against Real Madrid, drawing the ire of Palestinian groups. The next day, the Catalan club said it had also invited the president of the Palestinian football federation, Jibril Rajub, the Palestinian envoy to Spain, and Sarsak to the clash. Sarsak initially said he would consider attending the game, if he was granted permission by the Palestinian Authority, and so long as he was not seated next to Shalit. But yesterday, Sarsak said it would be unacceptable for him to attend a game along with Shalit. “The invitation to Gilad Shalit suggests an equivalence between the Zionist executioner and the Palestinian victim, and means I cannot attend,” he said. “There is a difference between a person arrested with his weapon, in military uniform from inside his tank... and the arrest of an athlete at a crossing who was on his way to a professional sports club in the West Bank,” he said. Shalit was captured by Palestinian fighters in a 2006 cross-border raid and held incommunicado until October 2011, when he was released as part of a prisoner exchange that saw Israel free 1,027 Palestinians. Sarsak was arrested in July 2009 while on his way from Gaza to sign for a West Bank club and was held without charge by Israel. He was freed in July after a hunger strike of nearly three months while in an Israeli jail. His protest triggered concern from world footballing body FIFA and human rights watchdog Amnesty International. Both Barcelona and Real Madrid are massively popular among Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, and Sarsak said he would be happy to receive a future invite from Barcelona or any other Spanish club. “I announce my readiness to meet Barcelona or any other Spanish club outside of the context of a joint invitation with Gilad Shalit, inviting me as a Palestinian athlete who experienced... the suffering of a hunger strike for freedom and dignity,” he said. The ruling Hamas government in Gaza had reacted furiously to Barcelona’s decision to invite Shalit to the Oct. 7 game, urging Muslim broadcasters not to show the game if the Israeli attended. “We call on all Muslim, Arab and Palestinian media not to broadcast this game if Shalit attends,” Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said on Friday. “FC Barcelona’s invitation to the criminal Shalit so they can pay homage to him is an offense to sentiments of the Palestinians and to Arabs and Muslims, because Shalit is an Israeli soldier who was on a tank taking part in the killing of Palestinian civilians when he was captured,” he said.
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

palestinian player rejects barca invite palestinian player rejects barca invite



GMT 12:10 2017 Thursday ,23 March

China-backed bank approves 13 new members

GMT 12:52 2011 Saturday ,13 August

India\'s top lender SBI profit slumps 46 percent

GMT 08:29 2017 Thursday ,20 July

Air strikes on Raqqa leave 20 civilians dead

GMT 15:20 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Anti-IS coalition civilian killings tripled in 2017

GMT 11:41 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

Calls for probe into migrant death in Spain

GMT 02:19 2012 Saturday ,20 October

Peace envoy to press for truce in Syria

GMT 17:03 2013 Tuesday ,11 June

My film will be shown in Morocco

GMT 09:24 2012 Monday ,24 September

Razan\'s much awaited comeback
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday