nadal considered french open \impossible dream\
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Nadal considered French Open 'impossible dream'

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Nadal considered French Open 'impossible dream'

Paris - Arab Today
Rafael Nadal admitted that making history as an eight-time French Open champion was an impossible dream when he was desperately battling to reboot his career during a seven-month injury lay-off. Nadal wept as he watched the Spanish flag being hoisted above Roland Garros after his 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 win over compatriot David Ferrer had made him the first man to win the same Grand Slam title eight times. But after missing the Olympics, the US and Australian Opens to rest his suspect left knee following his stunning second round exit at Wimbledon just under a year ago, Sunday's triumph seemed far off on the horizon as he rested up at his Mallorca home. "It's very emotional. It's a very important victory for me," said the 27-year-old, who now has 12 Grand Slam titles, the same as Roy Emerson, but five off the record held by Roger Federer. "It's a great personal satisfaction and I am only here because of so many people. It's difficult to compare other years but it's true that this is very special for me. "Five months ago, we never dreamed about this. I would have thought it would be impossible. But we are here, it's incredible, fantastic." Nadal has now won seven titles from nine finals since he returned to the tour in February, steadily building up his strength with victories in Sao Paulo, Acapulco, Indian Wells, Barcelona, Madrid and Rome before his crowning glory in the cold and drizzle of Paris. It was his 57th career title and his record for 2013 reads 43 wins and just two defeats, against unheralded Horacio Zeballos in the final at Vina del Mar in his first tournament back and Novak Djokovic in the Monte Carlo Masters final. He now has 59 wins out of 60 ties in Paris, making him the tournament's most successful match winner. Nadal admitted his time off tour caused deep soul-searching and some very low moments where his tennis recovery, if not his devotion to the gym, was limited. "I am a positive guy, but doubts are part of this life. People without doubts are arrogant because nothing is clear in this world. I had to work as hard as I could to be back here," he added. The key to getting back on the court, said Nadal, was staying off it for large parts of his Mallorca retreat. "I don't feel fitter than before. I feel like I was fitter in other parts of my career. But that's normal because I didn't practice as much as I did in the past. "In the past eight weeks, my practice has been my matches. I don't know how we did it to be back here. My movement when I came back was very bad but after a few weeks, I started to move well with the right intensity and the tennis was there." Nadal added that he had been buoyed by the out-pouring of affection as he recovered in Spain, a reflection of the high esteem in which he is held not just for his ability on the court but also his modesty off it. "I received hundreds and hundreds of messages of support and each one has their own significance," he added. Amongst those tributes being paid to his astonishing achievement in Paris was a suitably apt tweet from world number six Tomas Berdych. "Rafa has new tel. number you should dial 8- 63 62 63," wrote the Czech. Source: AFP
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

nadal considered french open \impossible dream\ nadal considered french open \impossible dream\



GMT 12:10 2017 Thursday ,23 March

China-backed bank approves 13 new members

GMT 12:52 2011 Saturday ,13 August

India\'s top lender SBI profit slumps 46 percent

GMT 08:29 2017 Thursday ,20 July

Air strikes on Raqqa leave 20 civilians dead

GMT 15:20 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Anti-IS coalition civilian killings tripled in 2017

GMT 11:41 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

Calls for probe into migrant death in Spain

GMT 02:19 2012 Saturday ,20 October

Peace envoy to press for truce in Syria

GMT 17:03 2013 Tuesday ,11 June

My film will be shown in Morocco

GMT 09:24 2012 Monday ,24 September

Razan\'s much awaited comeback
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday