
Britain's 2013 Wimbledon champion Andy Murray made light of an absence from the ATP tour of over a month to defeat promising Aussie teenager Nick Kyrgios 6-2, 6-2 in less than an hour on Wednesday in the second-round of the Toronto Masters.
Murray, the eighth seed who won the Canadian title in 2009 and 2010, had been seen as a poential scalp for the dangerous Kyrgios since losing to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov in the Wimbledon quarter-finals.
In the interim, the disappointed 27-year-old Scot left for his training base in Miami to try and rediscover his best form.
He also signed former top French woman player Amelie Mauresmo to a long-term coaching contract after an experimental period through the grass season.
"I was just lacking a little bit. But after Wimbledon, I went over to Miami and I really trained like I used to for the first time since the surgery and I felt much better," said Murray.
Murray showed in Toronto that his work was starting to pay off, as he hammered Kyrgios, who upset Rafael Nadal in the fourth round at Wimbledon.
"I thought I did most things like pretty solid," said Murray.
"I didn't make too many errors. I moved well, I had a high first serve percentage.
"It was solid for a first match back after sort of four and a half, five weeks. I was happy."
Murray, who has not won a title in the 13 months since lifting the Wimbledon trophy, will next face the winner of the match between Frenchman Richard Gasquet and Croatia's Ivo Karlovic.
Murray ended with four breaks of Kyrgios and was never in danger on his serve. The Scot served seven aces and 14 winners in his brief outing.
The ninth-ranked Murray, whose ranking has not been so low since 2008, improved to 33-12 on the season as he won his 16th match of 2014 on hardcourts.
In another second-round result, French 13th seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga defeated countryman Jeremy Chardy 7-6 (8/6), 6-4.
Source: AFP
GMT 13:38 2018 Wednesday ,12 December
WADA views International Sambo Federation as one of best in fight against doping abuseGMT 10:48 2018 Tuesday ,23 October
Dortmund face Atletico test of maturityGMT 19:21 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Brewers make offer to Japanese pitcher DarvishGMT 19:19 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
Brewers make offer to Japanese pitcher DarvishGMT 12:35 2018 Friday ,19 January
Man Utd set to make Sanchez highest-paid Premier League playerGMT 12:17 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Italy's Barella extends Cagliari dealGMT 13:20 2017 Sunday ,24 December
'Tongan Bear' Uhila extends Clermont contractGMT 19:09 2017 Tuesday ,19 December
Mascherano close to China move: reportsMaintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor