incidents mar south america cup final in sao paulo
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Incidents mar South America Cup final in Sao Paulo

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Incidents mar South America Cup final in Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo - AFP
Dressing room brawl, local police accused of brutality, the South America Cup final here between Sao Paulo and Argentine side Tigre was marred by serious incidents less than two years before Brazil hosts the World Cup. Tigre refused to emerge for the second half in the second leg tie against Sao Paulo late Wednesday with the game abandoned and the title awarded to the Brazilian team. Tigre defender Lucas Orban said police barged into their dressing room and threatened one of the club's players with a gun. "Sao Paulo's security agents came in, they hit us with batons, took out a revolver and pointed it at the goalkeeper Damian Albil. Then the police came in and began to hit us again," he reported. The astonishing claims came just two weeks after the draw was held here for the 2013 Confederations Cup and in the country that is hosting the 2014 World Cup. Tigre midfielder Martin Galmarini reported that "everyone was armed". He said Sao Paulo's security agents were lying in wait for the Tigre players at the entrance to their dressing room "and threatened us with weapons". The Tigre players' claims were denied by a Brazilian military policeman. "No one was armed," commander Gonzaga told Brazilian media. According to Gonzaga, when the police arrived "there was general fighting between Sao Paulo security, the players and the Tigre staff. No one was armed, there were people wounded on both sides." He said his men intervened to end the melee. Commenting on the incidents on his Twitter page Thursday, former Brazil star Ronaldo slammed the behavior of the Tigre side, saying they should be banned fron continental competitions for 10 years by the South American football Confederation Conmebol. "Now to serve as an example, there should be very severe punishment of Tigre. A 10-year-ban from South American competitions," said Ronaldo, a member of Brazil's organizing committee of the 2014 World Cup. Ronaldo, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002, also criticized the Sao Paulo managers and substitute players as well as the reporters who invaded the pitch when Tigre refused to return for the second half. The match had already been marred by scuffles between the two sides in the first half triggered by a foul on Sao Paulo's Lucas Moura. Moura, who was making his last appearance for Sao Paulo before joining French side Paris Saint Germain, scored the opening goal in the 23rd minute, with Osvaldo doubling up six minutes later. Chilean referee Enrique Osses officially called off the game when the Argentinian players refused to take to the pitch for the second half with Conmebol awarding the title to Sao Paulo. Wednesday's incidents are bad news for Brazil which in recent weeks had been trying to turn the page on criticism of its lagging preparations for the World Cup, particularly construction of host stadiums. Sunday, President Dilma Rousseff is to inaugurate a new arena in the northeastern city of Fortaleza, six months ahead of the opening of the Confederations Cup, a dress rehearsal for the World Cup.
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

incidents mar south america cup final in sao paulo incidents mar south america cup final in sao paulo



GMT 16:18 2014 Tuesday ,11 February

\'Downton Abbey\' moving on without Dan Stevens

GMT 15:44 2012 Saturday ,14 April

Citroën Numéro 9 at Beijing motor show

GMT 11:04 2013 Saturday ,05 October

Eppridge captured Kennedy\'s assassination in 1966

GMT 22:44 2011 Wednesday ,23 February

Clashes in Greece at anti-austerity demo

GMT 00:18 2017 Wednesday ,05 July

Germany backs UAE's stand on Qatar

GMT 06:05 2012 Monday ,25 June

Ayoon Wa Azan (Pity My Homeland)

GMT 01:00 2012 Friday ,20 July

New Audi Q3 model

GMT 23:25 2014 Friday ,18 July

3 children martyred in Israeli attack on Gaza

GMT 20:42 2016 Friday ,25 March

Turkish Premier to Visit Jordan Saturday

GMT 23:11 2013 Tuesday ,06 August

5.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico

GMT 12:25 2015 Friday ,05 June

Naimi: OPEC keeps same oil output ceiling

GMT 14:34 2017 Tuesday ,07 November

Yemen rebels threaten Saudi, UAE ports and airports
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday