cotter denies offering clermont resignation
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Cotter denies offering Clermont resignation

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Cotter denies offering Clermont resignation

Edinburgh - Arabstoday
Vern Cotter's future as coach of French giants Clermont overshadowed his first press conference as incoming Scotland national boss on Wednesday. The 51-year-old New Zealander had been named Scotland coach on Monday but with the proviso he saw out the one year remaining on his contract at Clermont, who he has been with since 2006. However, he appeared to muddy the waters when he launched a stinging critique of the club, accusing several players - including Australian fly-half Brock James - of hiding when the going got tough in crucial matches, and voiced fears over their future in a newspaper interview published on Wednesday. His criticisms came in the light of the crushing dual disappointment of losing to French rivals Toulon in the European Cup final and then, with their morale shattered, losing to unfancied Castres in the French championship semi-finals last Saturday. However, Cotter has himself been criticised for delivering only the 2010 French title during his spell in charge and outgoing club president Rene Fontes announced on Wednesday that the New Zealander had offered his resignation. Cotter, though, told the Press Association on the sidelines of the press conference that he had done no such thing. "No, I haven't resigned. This is unclear. I would like a little bit of clarity and I will be ringing my president to see what the situation is," said Cotter. "Apparently there has been a reaction to an article I gave stating my honest appraisal of how the club should move forward. "I'm surprised because we had agreed to move forward to 2014, so I will obviously be asking a few questions. "We have had discussions with Mark Dodson and the Scotland management team early on and the club asked me to stay for another year. "I don't know if that position has changed but that will be part of the phonecall that I make. "The most important thing is to make sure whatever decision is made is done properly." Cotter, who arrived in France on the back of being part of the Canterbury Crusaders coaching team that landed successive Super rugby titles, said he was looking forward to the new challenge of coaching a national side. Earlier this year, he ruled himself out of contention for the Ireland vacancy when Declan Kidney didn't have his contract renewed. His place was eventually taken by Cotter's compatriot Joe Schmidt, who guided Leinster to back-to-back successes in the European Cup (2011 and 2012) after being an assistant to Cotter at Clermont. Cotter and Schmidt's appointments mean that there are three New Zealanders in charge of Six Nations teams, Warren Gatland being head coach of Wales. "I am looking forward to this new challenge," said Cotter. "I'll be coaching at the highest level, coaching a team that has got great talent, that has done really well in this year's Six Nations. "We'll be working towards the World Cup in 2015 with a great management team. It's very exciting." Source: AFP
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

cotter denies offering clermont resignation cotter denies offering clermont resignation



GMT 12:10 2017 Thursday ,23 March

China-backed bank approves 13 new members

GMT 12:52 2011 Saturday ,13 August

India\'s top lender SBI profit slumps 46 percent

GMT 08:29 2017 Thursday ,20 July

Air strikes on Raqqa leave 20 civilians dead

GMT 15:20 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Anti-IS coalition civilian killings tripled in 2017

GMT 11:41 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

Calls for probe into migrant death in Spain

GMT 02:19 2012 Saturday ,20 October

Peace envoy to press for truce in Syria

GMT 17:03 2013 Tuesday ,11 June

My film will be shown in Morocco

GMT 09:24 2012 Monday ,24 September

Razan\'s much awaited comeback
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday