aussie open holds \constructive\ money talks
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Aussie Open holds 'constructive' money talks

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Aussie Open holds 'constructive' money talks

Melbourne - AFP
Tennis officials Thursday said they held constructive talks with players agitating for a greater share of revenue at the Australian Open, a day after Andy Murray played down a boycott threat. Last week organisers of the season's opening major boosted prize money to a record Aus$30 million (US$31.1 million) as they responded to a push by players to gain a higher percentage of Grand Slam revenues. At issue is the pay of lower-ranked players, who often exit in the first round after making the long journey Down Under. Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood said he met with the ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) and Player Council on the sidelines of the Shanghai Masters about a fairer distribution of the prize money, and talks were productive. "Tennis Australia has had some very constructive and positive discussions with the ATP and the Player Council," he said in a statement. "We feel we have been well received and are buoyant about the future. "We have talked about our long-term plans for player compensation, including further significant increases, and the feedback we have received from the ATP and the players has been positive." While this year players pocketed Aus$20,800 (US$21,600) for a first-round defeat at the Australian Open, some players struggle to make ends meet during the year as they pay for much of their own expenses and travel. Without a high profile, they are also unable to score lucrative sponsorship deals that could help sustain their careers. Players Council president Roger Federer on Sunday cautiously welcomed the move to boost prize money, but said he was not sure it was significant enough to quell player unrest over the long-running row. However, on Wednesday Murray said he and other players never viewed a strike as a realistic option. "From all the players I've spoken to so far, everyone's been very happy with the increases in the prize money and their plan over the next few years, as well," said the Scotsman. While the prize money break-up is yet to be revealed, Australian Open director Craig Tiley last week said increases would be weighted towards those who lose in the early rounds. More talks are scheduled to take place before a final decision is made, Wood said. "We have plans for further discussions regarding distribution and will also be having talks with the WTA to get their feedback," he said. "Our intention has always been to make a major contribution toward improving the compensation of professional tennis players to make their profession more viable throughout their ranks. The attitude of the players has been very pleasing." The Australian Open is played at Melbourne Park in January.
egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

aussie open holds \constructive\ money talks aussie open holds \constructive\ money talks



GMT 12:10 2017 Thursday ,23 March

China-backed bank approves 13 new members

GMT 12:52 2011 Saturday ,13 August

India\'s top lender SBI profit slumps 46 percent

GMT 08:29 2017 Thursday ,20 July

Air strikes on Raqqa leave 20 civilians dead

GMT 15:20 2018 Sunday ,21 January

Anti-IS coalition civilian killings tripled in 2017

GMT 11:41 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

Calls for probe into migrant death in Spain

GMT 02:19 2012 Saturday ,20 October

Peace envoy to press for truce in Syria

GMT 17:03 2013 Tuesday ,11 June

My film will be shown in Morocco

GMT 09:24 2012 Monday ,24 September

Razan\'s much awaited comeback
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday