dutch expert suspended after showing mh17 victim photos
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Dutch expert suspended after showing MH17 victim photos

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Dutch expert suspended after showing MH17 victim photos

Dutch and Malaysian investigators and local authorities dig, yesterday on the site where the
The Hague - Arab today

A Dutch expert helping to identify victims from last year’s MH17 airliner crash in Ukraine has been suspended after showing photographs of the dead at a public lecture, police said Thursday.

“He has been suspended from his work and we’ll see if other measures need to be taken,” Thomas Aling, spokesman for the Dutch national forensics investigation team LTFO, told AFP.

“Apparently he showed photos that cannot be shown at a public meeting,” Aling said following the lecture given by George Maat and organised by a medical students association in southern city Maastricht.

Maat, an anthropologist at Leiden University, is also accused of making comments outside his realm of expertise, notably about the causes of the crash, which were “incorrect,” Aling said.

All 298 passengers and crew on-board the Malaysia Airlines jetliner — most of them Dutch — died when it was shot down at high altitude over rebel-held eastern Ukraine in July last year

Dutch Justice Minister Ard van der Steur said that Maat’s lecture was “completely inappropriate and in bad taste”.

Journalists from private television channel RTL Nieuws attended and first reported on the lecture, during which Maat showed photos of victims’ body parts and explained elements of the identification process.

The remains of all but two victims, both Dutch, have been identified an international team of Dutch led experts.

The lecture was given early April to an audience of around 150 people and showing the photos would have been allowed for educational purposes if the general public were not allowed in.

A Facebook page advertising the lecture clearly said that it was open to the public.

The deputy head of the MH17 Air Disaster Association, Evert van Zijtveld, said that showing the photos was “shameful and very shocking for victims’ relatives, this adds to the grief.”

Maat said he had not known that the lecture was not restricted to medical students.

“It appears that other people were there, I hadn’t realised,” he said in a statement released by the police.

“I’m very sorry to have hurt or distressed victims’ loved ones.”

Kiev and the West claim that the plane was shot down by the separatists using a BUK surface-to-air missile supplied by Russia. Moscow denies the charges, pointing the finger at Kiev.

The Netherlands has been charged with leading the investigation into the cause of the incident and identifying the victims of the flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur

source : gulfnews

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

dutch expert suspended after showing mh17 victim photos dutch expert suspended after showing mh17 victim photos



GMT 11:03 2017 Sunday ,13 August

Morabit calls on HM to approve reforms

GMT 13:33 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China factory gate inflation slows to 13-month low

GMT 00:07 2013 Wednesday ,24 July

Festival de la chanson chaâbi : de jeunes talents

GMT 18:43 2015 Saturday ,09 May

Helicopter lost control moments before landing

GMT 19:58 2017 Friday ,28 April

Trump May Delay Border Wall to Get Budget Deal

GMT 09:41 2017 Tuesday ,21 November

Kedwani underlines parliament’s role

GMT 02:29 2017 Sunday ,09 April

UAE movie fans are quick on the download button

GMT 16:15 2018 Sunday ,04 November

Katy Perry covers ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ song

GMT 02:15 2011 Saturday ,29 October

Forecast: \'Unprecedented\' winter storm due

GMT 10:03 2018 Thursday ,20 September

Russian cabinet to consider 2019-2021 draft budget

GMT 07:14 2011 Sunday ,03 July

Railway project goes full steam ahead

GMT 10:21 2012 Tuesday ,06 March

Ahly suffers spate of UAE camp injuries

GMT 04:45 2013 Thursday ,05 September

The end of oil

GMT 13:32 2017 Sunday ,15 January

South Korea prosecutors to decide Monday

GMT 13:34 2011 Tuesday ,12 July

Jordan-Romania ecology initiative launched

GMT 00:56 2013 Tuesday ,26 February

Secret space is where BlackBerry smartphones are born

GMT 12:19 2011 Monday ,18 July

Japan beat usa on penalties to win world cup

GMT 18:30 2011 Thursday ,11 August

1500 Qatar hajj quota this year
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday