sheikh mohammed cancels 20 per cent copay on private treatment for thiqa holders
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Sheikh Mohammed cancels 20 per cent copay on private treatment for Thiqa holders

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Sheikh Mohammed cancels 20 per cent copay on private treatment for Thiqa holders

Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed
Abu Dhabi - Arab Today

Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed on Wednesday ordered that a 20 per cent fee for Emiratis havig private medical treatment be scrapped.
Sheikh Mohammed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, announced the waiver at Burjeel Hospital.
He also ordered a specialist medical college and a healthcare city to be established to strengthen the emirate as a destination for medical tourism and services.
When the 20 per cent co-pay was revealed in June last year, Emiratis in long-term care expressed surprise.
The fee was waived in January for three long-term care centres in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain, which said they would take losses worth millions of dirhams after refusing to discharge patients who could not afford to pay.
Mohammed Al Hammadi, chief executive of United Eastern Medical Services, said yesterday’s announcement showed the leadership’s support for private health.
"It also gives patients a wider choice of healthcare providers and additional access to different service lines and healthcare facilities," Mr Al Hammadi said.
His company includes Danat Al Emarat Hospital and HealthPlus Network of Specialty Centres.
Mr Al Hammadi said that after the waiver, United would invest Dh500 million in the second phase of Danat Al Emarat’s expansion, which will include 90 beds and new services, and new centres under HealthPlus Network.
Shamsheer Vayalil, chairman and managing director of VPS Healthcare, which runs Burjeel Hospital, said the move will "create more opportunities to provide innovative healthcare services".
He said the company was "humbled" by Sheikh Mohammed’s visit on Wednesday morning, where he inspected the facilities and met patients to inquire about their well being.
Emiratis expressed relief at the news. Reem Saif’s son, 5, is autistic and was born with a hole in his heart and narrow trachea.
Ms Saif, 36, was provided with a nurse to help with her newborn, but when the fee came in she had to pay Dh40,000 a month.
"I had to let go of the nurse and get a maid to help me," she said.
The maid had no medical experience and was not fit to care for a sick child, Ms Saif said. But after yesterday’s announcement, she said she would again hire a nurse.
"I always knew that our government would not do this to us, especially those who are in need."
Salem Obaid found out in February that he had prostate cancer.
"I immediately chose to have the surgery in a hospital in the private sector and not the Government," said Mr Obaid, 65. "I knew I had to pay 20 per cent, but my health was more important."
The surgeon who performed his operation had worked at a government hospital before moving to the private sector.
"He was well known and I trusted him more than the doctors in the government sector," Mr Obaid said.
He had his operation a week after being diagnosed and had to pay more than Dh20,000, which included hospital stay and follow-up care.
"My children help to pay for the surgery but many others who are my age and older don’t have children to support them and live off their pension," he said. "As Emiratis we realise that there was a lot of abuse happening when we had complete coverage.
"People would go to the hospital for the silliest reasons, and the copay helped limit them, but it was very hard for people like me and others who had no other option than to go to the private sector."
Emirati Ahmed Abdulla welcomed the decision, particularly because there are few government hospitals offering 24-hour care in rural areas and on the outskirts of the capital.
Mr Abdulla, who lives in Khalifa City A, said he had to rush his mother-in-law, 70, to a nearby private hospital during an emergency.
"There was nowhere near by for me to take her, and my mother-in-law is divorced and lives off the money she receives from social support," he said.
Meanwhile, at yesterday’s visit, Sheikh Mohammed was also updated on the progress for Burjeel Medical City, a Dh1.2 billion hospital that will open next year and offer cancer treatment, advanced imaging, an emergency department and a rehabilitation centre.

Source: The National

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

sheikh mohammed cancels 20 per cent copay on private treatment for thiqa holders sheikh mohammed cancels 20 per cent copay on private treatment for thiqa holders



GMT 11:03 2017 Sunday ,13 August

Morabit calls on HM to approve reforms

GMT 13:33 2018 Thursday ,11 January

China factory gate inflation slows to 13-month low

GMT 00:07 2013 Wednesday ,24 July

Festival de la chanson chaâbi : de jeunes talents

GMT 18:43 2015 Saturday ,09 May

Helicopter lost control moments before landing

GMT 19:58 2017 Friday ,28 April

Trump May Delay Border Wall to Get Budget Deal

GMT 09:41 2017 Tuesday ,21 November

Kedwani underlines parliament’s role

GMT 02:29 2017 Sunday ,09 April

UAE movie fans are quick on the download button

GMT 16:15 2018 Sunday ,04 November

Katy Perry covers ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ song

GMT 02:15 2011 Saturday ,29 October

Forecast: \'Unprecedented\' winter storm due

GMT 10:03 2018 Thursday ,20 September

Russian cabinet to consider 2019-2021 draft budget

GMT 07:14 2011 Sunday ,03 July

Railway project goes full steam ahead

GMT 10:21 2012 Tuesday ,06 March

Ahly suffers spate of UAE camp injuries

GMT 04:45 2013 Thursday ,05 September

The end of oil

GMT 13:32 2017 Sunday ,15 January

South Korea prosecutors to decide Monday

GMT 13:34 2011 Tuesday ,12 July

Jordan-Romania ecology initiative launched

GMT 00:56 2013 Tuesday ,26 February

Secret space is where BlackBerry smartphones are born

GMT 12:19 2011 Monday ,18 July

Japan beat usa on penalties to win world cup

GMT 18:30 2011 Thursday ,11 August

1500 Qatar hajj quota this year
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday