top european chefs take electric pulse fishing off the menu
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today
Egypt Today, egypt today
Last Updated : GMT 09:07:40
Egypt Today, egypt today

Top European chefs take electric pulse fishing off the menu

Egypt Today, egypt today

Egypt Today, egypt today Top European chefs take electric pulse fishing off the menu

More than 200 top chefs across Europe have pledged to stop sourcing seafood
Paris - Egypt Today

More than 200 top chefs across Europe have pledged to stop sourcing seafood obtained by electric pulse fishing, days before an EU vote that could expand the use of the controversial technique, an ocean advocacy group said Thursday.

"We refuse to work with seafood coming from a fishing method that condemns our future and that of the ocean," said the text written by Christopher Coutanceau, whose restaurant on the Atlantic coast in La Rochelle, western France, has earned two Michelin stars.

The practice involves dragging electrically charged lines just above the seafloor that shock marine life up from low-lying positions into trawling nets.

EU rules allow member states to equip up to five percent of their fleets with electrodes, and the method has been adopted in particular by Dutch vessels fishing for sole.

On Tuesday, the EU is to vote on the practice, which critics say harms too many fish that are left on the seabed, as well as those that are harvested.

"Electric trawlers produce catches of poor quality, fish which underwent stress and are often marked by post-electrocution bruises," according to the text released by Bloom, a French NGO.

"It is impossible to work with such low-quality products."

The signatories included French chefs Helene Darroze, Yannick Alleno and Olivier Roellinger, who has longed worked to improve sustainability in the fishing industry.

Spanish chefs Elena Arzak and Quique Dacosta, Italy's Antonino Cannavacciuolo and Alfonso and Ernesto Iaccarino, and Thomas Buehner and Heinz Winkler of Germany also signed the text.

On Wednesday, several members of the European parliament asked for a delay to next week's vote on electric pulse fishing, in order to allow time for an "informed debate".

For Jerry Percy of the Low-Impact Fishers of Europe (LIFE), which claims to represent about 80 percent of Britain's independent fishermen, a main problem is the lack of solid data on the long-term consequences of the practice on fishing stocks.

The method is outlawed in many parts of the world, including China, but proponents say it is more environmentally friendly and results in lower fuel usage for boats.

Bloom had already filed in October a case against the Netherlands with the European Commission, accusing the country of illegally authorising its trawlers to use the technique.

Source:AFP

egypttoday
egypttoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

top european chefs take electric pulse fishing off the menu top european chefs take electric pulse fishing off the menu



GMT 09:40 2018 Sunday ,09 December

Rise in temperature, partially cloudy skies

GMT 10:07 2019 Monday ,19 August

Live a calm and distinctive atmosphere

GMT 13:06 2011 Thursday ,17 November

Blatter: Committed to fight against racism

GMT 02:40 2012 Friday ,04 May

Brazil pledges investment fund for Africa

GMT 07:46 2012 Monday ,23 January

Masdar graduate makes Forbes 30 under-30 list

GMT 08:30 2017 Sunday ,27 August

Consumers against random abattoirs

GMT 15:00 2012 Sunday ,09 December

Rapper Rick Ross cancels concert tour

GMT 23:07 2014 Sunday ,02 March

China urges greater wildlife protection efforts

GMT 17:27 2012 Saturday ,14 April

China and Philippines end fishing standoff

GMT 20:04 2014 Wednesday ,01 January

Modern caterpillars feed at higher temperatures

GMT 09:14 2011 Wednesday ,17 August

InterContinental Hotels register strong US growth

GMT 17:45 2012 Friday ,28 December

Edward Sadomba top of Ahly\'s transfer targets

GMT 13:58 2012 Thursday ,17 May

Facebook vs. Google: the epic battle

GMT 14:04 2012 Thursday ,19 January

Fenway victory gardens

GMT 08:42 2012 Monday ,03 September

Pesticides must get environment ministry label

GMT 23:25 2011 Wednesday ,12 October

U.S. House passes FTA with S. Korea

GMT 08:32 2011 Wednesday ,20 July

Global stocks bounce back

GMT 21:45 2011 Saturday ,03 September

Oracle\'s $1.3b verdict against SAP

GMT 08:34 2013 Thursday ,07 March

Ahmed Zakariya to release new single

GMT 14:08 2011 Thursday ,08 December

I\'m proud of my Lebanese roots

GMT 13:48 2014 Wednesday ,28 May

Kuwait PM receives journalism award committee

GMT 09:59 2018 Monday ,15 January

Leinster secure Champions Cup last-eight spot
 
 Egypt Today Facebook,egypt today facebook  Egypt Today Twitter,egypt today twitter Egypt Today Rss,egypt today rss  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube  Egypt Today Youtube,egypt today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday egypttoday egypttoday
egypttoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
egypttoday, Egypttoday, Egypttoday